- Scott K, Giesekam J, Barrett J & Owen A (2019) Bridging the climate mitigation gap with economy-wide material productivity, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 23, Issue 4, Pages 918-931. Available here
- Owen A, Giesekam J & Barrett J (2018) Resource efficiency metrics, Report to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. EV0277. Main report here Short summary here
- Roelich K & Giesekam J (2019) Decision making under uncertainty in climate change mitigation: introducing multiple actor motivations, agency and influence, Climate Policy, Volume 19, Issue 2. Available open access here
- Giesekam J, Densley-Tingley D & Cotton I (2018) Aligning carbon targets for construction with (inter)national climate change mitigation commitments, Energy and Buildings, Volume 165, Pages 106-117. Available open access here
- Densley-Tingley D, Giesekam J & Cooper-Searle S (2018) Applying circular economic principles to reduce embodied carbon, Book chapter in Embodied Carbon in Buildings: Measurement, Management and Mitigation. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-72795-0
- Giesekam J & Pomponi F (2018) Briefing: Embodied carbon dioxide assessment in buildings: guidance and gaps, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, Volume 171, Issue 7. Available here
- Barrett J, Scott K, Owen A & Giesekam J (2017) Invisible Energy Policy – Analysis of the link between consumption and energy demand. Proceedings of the 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference (SuSTEM), 28-30 June 2017, Alkmaar, The Netherlands. Available here
- Cooper S, Giesekam J, Hammond G, Norman J, Owen A, Rogers J & Scott K (2017) Thermodynamic insights and assessment of the circular economy, Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 162, Pages 1356-1367 Available open access here
- Giesekam J, Densley-Tingley D & Barrett J (2016) Building on the Paris Agreement: making the case for embodied carbon intensity targets in construction, In: Zero Carbon Buildings Today and in the Future 2016, Birmingham City University, 8-9th September, 2016, Birmingham, UK. Available here
- Giesekam J, Barrett J & Taylor P (2018) Scenario analysis of embodied greenhouse gas emissions in UK construction, Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability, Volume 171, Issue 4, Pages 178-190 Available open access here
- Giesekam J, Barrett J & Taylor P (2016) Construction sector views on low carbon building materials, Building Research and Information, Volume 44, Issue 4, Pages 423-444 Available open access here
- Steele K, Hurst T & Giesekam J (2015) Green Construction Board Low Carbon Routemap for the Built Environment 2015 Routemap Progress Technical Report Available here
- Giesekam J, Barrett J, Taylor P & Owen A (2014) The greenhouse gas emissions and mitigation options for materials used in UK construction, Energy and Buildings, Volume 78, August 2014, Pages 202-214 Available here
- Jacques D, Gooding J, Giesekam J, Crook R & Tomlin A (2014) Methodology for the assessment of PV capacity over a city region using low-resolution LiDAR data and application to the City of Leeds (UK), Applied Energy, Volume 124, Pages 28-34 Available here
- Wiedmann T, Crawford R, Seo S & Giesekam J (2013) The Industrial Ecology Virtual Laboratory and its application to sustainability and environmental engineering - the case of low carbon living. Sustainable Engineering Society (SEng) 2013 Conference 18-20 September 2013 National Convention Centre, ACT, Australia.
- Gooding J, Edwards H, Giesekam J & Crook R (2013) Solar City Indicator: A Methodology to Predict City Level PV Installed Capacity by Combining Physical Capacity and Socio-economic Factors, Solar Energy, Volume 95, September 2013, Pages 325-335. Available here
- Edwards H, Giesekam J, Gooding J, Hardy P & Crook R (2012) Solar City Indicator: A methodology and ranking of the potential for PV in UK cities, 8th Photovoltaic Science, Applications and Technology Conference Proceedings, Published by the Solar Energy Society. (awarded best paper)
- Giesekam, J (2020) Embodied carbon - top down targets, 20th July, LETI working group, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2019) We need a net-zero built environment roadmap, 27th November, Carbon Crunch, Institution of Civil Engineers, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J and Barrett, J (2019) Reducing climate impacts from construction: experiences from the UK, 19th November, Mistra Carbon Exit webinar series. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2019) The role of low carbon construction standards, 24th May, Policy Design for Greening Construction Supply Chains, Stockholm, Sweden. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2019) From Paris to policies: tackling embodied carbon in construction, 29th January, Building a climate-neutral Europe with natural bio-based construction materials, Brussels, Belgium. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) A carbon portrait of construction, 1st November, Delivering Healthy Buildings, Bristol, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) From Paris to projects: your role in climate action, 24th October, ICE Global Engineering Congress, London, UK. download slides or watch recording
- Giesekam, J (2018) From Paris to Powys: the need for low carbon housing, 11th October, CHC One Big Housing Conference, Llandrindod Wells, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) The role of timber in meeting carbon targets, 14th June, WoodBUILD Wales 2018, Cardiff, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) From Paris to projects: aligning carbon targets in construction, 19th April, UKGBC event on Advancing net zero: next steps in holistic carbon reduction, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) The material demand of buildings: insights from the UK and challenges for a global model, 9th March, IEA Expert Dialogue on Materials Trends in Buildings Construction, Paris, France. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2018) Sustainability report for the UK built environment - doing well or could do better?, 8th March, Ecobuild, London, UK. watch recording download slides
- Giesekam, J (2017) UK carbon emissions in design, construction and operation, 7th March, Ecobuild, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2017) Healthy Planet: a resource efficient future, 15th February, Healthy Buildings Expo, UCL, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Barriers to low carbon innovation, 30th November, Innovative paths to low carbon infrastructure, CIRIA offices, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Building on the Paris Agreement: the role of low carbon construction in the UK, 29th November, Carbon Crunch 2016, Institution of Civil Engineers, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Where is the carbon in construction?, 10th November, Construction Climate Challenge seminar: Reducing carbon in infrastructure construction, Institute of Engineering and Technology, Birmingham, UK. watch recording download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Embodied carbon and strategies for reduction, 14th September, ASBP/ISOBIO event, University of Bath, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J., Densley-Tingley, D., Barrett, J. (2016) Building on the Paris Agreement: making the case for embodied carbon intensity targets in construction, 9th September, Zero Carbon Buildings Today and in the Future 2016, Birmingham City University, Birmingham, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) What is the role of the construction sector and the National Infrastructure Plan in delivering material efficiency?, 12th May, The RSA, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Embodied carbon in construction: a CIEMAP perspective, 11th May, Sturgis Carbon Profiling Offices, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2016) Drivers and barriers to the adoption of sustainable materials, 5th April, CIRIA Offices, London, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2015) Reducing embodied carbon in construction: developing a UK model and policy pathways, 23rd September 2015, Nottingham Trent University, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2015) Reducing embodied carbon in construction. Demonstrating the need for a policy response with the UK Buildings Embodied Carbon Model, 23rd June 2015, University of Leeds, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2015) From targets to benchmarks: developing a UK Buildings Embodied Carbon Model, 22nd April 2015, LoLo Conference, Sustainability and Buildings - walking the tightrope to 2050, Loughborough University, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2015) Reducing embodied carbon in the UK construction sector, 23rd January 2015, University of Leeds, UK. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2013) Another Brick In The Wall? Reducing the use of carbon-intensive materials in the UK construction sector, 12th September 2013, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. download slides
- Giesekam, J (2013) Another Brick In The Wall? Reducing the use of carbon-intensive materials in the UK construction sector, 3rd April 2013, University of Leeds, UK. download lo-res slides
- Giesekam, J (2012) I'm forever plotting bubbles: visualizing the growth in global consumption, 28th June 2012, University of Leeds, UK. download slides
- Edwards H, Giesekam J, Gooding J, Hardy P, Crook R (2012) Solar City Indicator: A methodology and ranking of the potential for PV in UK cities, PVSAT-8, 3rd April 2012, Newcastle, UK. download slides
In October I will be giving the 2020 Unwin Lecture alongside Tim Chapman (Arup) and Maria Manidaki (Mott MacDonald). The lecture will present results from an update of the 2013 Infrastructure Carbon Review datasets prepared as part of the ongoing ICE Carbon Project. More information about the event can be found here.
In March I prepared a report on embodied carbon for Zero Waste Scotland. The report sets out the status quo and a suggested roadmap. It was prepared in conjunction with JH Sustainability Ltd and the Resource Efficient Built Environment Lab at Edinburgh Napier University. It can be downloaded here.
On the 27th November I presented at the annual Carbon Crunch event organised by Mott MacDonald at the Institution of Civil Engineers. You can download slides and a podcast featuring speakers from the event is available here. My talk called for a net zero roadmap for the construction industry.
On the 21st November I took part in a panel discussion at the Building Zero Carbon Britain conference. The discussion included representatives from AECOM, the Green Alliance, the Green Party, the Energy Systems Catapult, Sustainability West Midlands and Building With Nature. A recording should be available soon.
On the 19th November I presented a webinar as part of a series hosted by the Swedish Mistra Carbon Exit programme. The webinar series focussed on transforming the built environment and construction sector towards zero carbon emissions. My colleague John Barrett and myself presented an overview of UK experiences in decarbonising the built environment and discussed a number of common challenges facing Sweden and the UK. Slides from the webinar can be downloaded here.
In October I was awarded the 2019 Richard Trevithick Fund Prize by the Institution of Civil Engineers with my co-authors John Barrett and Peter Taylor. This was for our scenario analysis of embodied carbon in the UK construction industry. All the papers from the ICE publishing awards are available for free on their website.
On the 24th May I presented at a workshop on greening construction supply chains at the Swedish EPA in Stockholm. The event was organised by Mistra Carbon Exit and Climate Strategies. My presentation focused upon policy options for low carbon construction and the slides can be downloaded here.
On the 29th January I presented at the ISOBIO project closing event in Brussels as part of a session on embodied carbon policy in European construction. My presentation focused upon recent developments in the UK and the slides can be downloaded here. All other presentations from the day are available from the event website.
I recently co-authored a new article in the Journal of Industrial Ecology. The article considers the role that strategies to improve material productivity could play in meeting the UKs 4th and 5th carbon budgets.
For older news articles please click here.
My research focuses on the role of material efficiency and industrial energy demand reduction in securing a low carbon future. My main research interests are in mapping economy wide material and energy flows, embodied carbon and materials innovation in the construction industry, and the automated assessment of microgeneration potential. Check out my presentation slides and publications for more detail.
I am a Research Fellow in Industrial Climate Policy at the Centre for Research into Energy Demand Solutions based at the University of Leeds.
My work is focussed on climate change mitigation and the adoption of material efficiency strategies in a range of industrial sectors. Before this appointment I was a Research Fellow in Energy, Materials and Climate Policy at the Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials and Products. Prior to which I completed a PhD on embodied carbon mitigation in the UK construction industry.
I have published numerous articles on sustainable construction, the circular economy and microgeneration resource assessment (see publications). I have given invited talks, contributed to guidance documents, served on steering groups and acted as a technical reviewer for groups such as the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the UK Green Building Council (UKGBC). I have also undertaken work for the Green Construction Board, the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) and the Scottish Government. In addition to my academic work I undertake a small number of consultancy projects each year. Please get in touch if you'd like more information about my work or would like to collaborate on a future project.